HOW I EDIT MY INSTAGRAM PICTURES

Ow Instagram. It’s like my guilty pleasure. Do I need to sit looking at supermodels being all fabulous while I tuck into my second Creme Egg? Nope. Do I still do it? Yup. Admittedly I’m that annoying person that’s a little Instagram mad – I take pictures of bloody everything (I’ve even tried making a Subway sarnie look completely Insta chic.. fail), but I find it one of my favourite creative outlets. Yeah, it can be deemed a bit vain, but for me I just love all the faffing about with filters & making something look fancy.

The main app I go for when editing is VSCO Cam. It’s free, has loads of different filters (I’m not a fan of the Instagram ones – they either make me look washed out or like I’m on a 70s TV show) and you can also edit all the usual bits and bobs – saturation, contrast etc. The vast majority of my pictures are with VSCO’s A5 filter.. I find that one makes white bits look really white and zaps out any yellow tones. The other app I get asked about a lot is the one I use for borders, collages & making oblong pictures fit right.. For that I mostly go for Photogrid, but there are loads of similar ones out there that do the same stuff. I use it to pop borders on and for any of those mirror image pictures. I will also quickly mention my camera.. the Samsung NX Mini – while it’s definitely not an essential I do find this really useful for snapping away and 90% of my Instagram pictures are taken on it. Having WIFI & NFC makes it easy to share shots to my phone and it has plenty of settings to help a gurrrl out with the selfies. Ha.

Another little handy one I will add in is Latergram.me – basically the closest to scheduling that Instagram will allow.  You can schedule your post in advance, then you’ll get a little notification to upload it as usual when it’s due to go up. I know for some that’s perhaps a bit of a con and stepping away from the whole point of it being instant, but it comes in handy when I’m at work and I’ve got a blog post I want to let people know about. There is a limit to how much you can use it for without having to pay for it, but if you are a real busy bee it’s worth having a look at.

Aaaand that’s about it. Phew. I know not everyone will find this sort of thing interesting and I don’t really take Instagram that seriously.. at the end of the day it’s just faffing about putting pictures on an app not winning the Nobel Peace Prize. I just thought it might be a good way to tick off a few questions. I’ve also popped the video I did in the summer which includes all the extra bits & bobs that I use when I’m getting my Instagram onnn. Right, I’m off for KFC noms with my lovely mamma.. And yes, it’s likely I will be Instagramming that fried chicken goodness.

youtube / bloglovin / twitter / facebook / pinterest / tumblr / instagram

x

26 Comments

1. 15th March 2015 / 5:36 pm

Love your tips, your insta feeds is one of my favourites!
    Maddy, xo // UNSTITCHEDD

2. 15th March 2015 / 9:49 pm

I'm obsessed with instagram too, I genuinely enjoy taking a picture of something standard and making it interesting x
    graciousghost.blogspot.com

3. 16th March 2015 / 5:35 am

My favorite VSCO filters are HB1 and A6! 🙂 And thanks for sharing about Latergram! I didn't know about it really! I should download it already! Haha

Janine
    Lime & Life

4. 16th March 2015 / 10:29 am

Such a helpful post, I've never heard of those apps before. Thanks for sharing your tips! X

STONE FOX

5. 18th March 2015 / 5:42 pm

Great tips, you really do the best posts on topics like this ! I'm going to start using Vsco, I'm obsessed with Instagram too even if I don't post that much and got my accoung back in july so this post is useful.
    I wonder: do you also use your Samsung cam for your blog pictures ? Because they look so much more professional, so that would mean it's possible to get that look with a point-and-shoot cam, which is very happy since I can't buy an expensive fancy cam but need to update mine since it grows old. Thanks 🙂

6. 19th March 2015 / 8:48 am

Great stuff. Thanks for this; going to give VSCO Cam a go. Use Afterlight too, which is great, but costs a few quid x

7. 23rd March 2015 / 8:40 am
  8. 19th May 2015 / 6:01 am
  9. 16th May 2016 / 3:11 pm

Thank you for the video. I love blogs with their own video. I can recommend a good software for editing https://macphun.com/noiseless. I'm working with him on the job. I am a editor of the journal. Maybe you will discover something new for yourself.

10. Anonymous
    7th July 2016 / 4:48 pm

Can you please also tell us how you create that black and white backgrounds? You have a lot of pictures, where your room is b&w and extremely white compared to your outfits..It looks really cool. Thank you:)