Self Love & The Fact It’s Easier Said Than Done

Self love seems to be a bit of a thing right now, and yup, I’m all for it. Big time. I love hearing about folk who are super happy with who they are, and equally so, I wanna be my own biggest fan. I’d much rather be adding my own ‘this is how I learnt to love myself and here’s how you can too’ post to the mix, but in reality, I needed to go with the ‘that’s all well and good, but it’s really fucking hard’ route instead. Because it is. The toughest, which makes self love extra gratifying when you finally get to a good point.

With self love being a popular topic right now, we all know the mantra – ‘you’ve got to love yourself first’, get all mindful and be a true lover of the positive vibes… But I’m also like HOW? How do I learn to love that little flabby bit? How do I decide I’m happy enough with myself to not be a little bit sad when someone’s says something awful? Come on, gimme specifics.

You don’t get up after reading a blog post and have some miraculous sense of self-realization, ready to become the strong, independent person you know you wanna be. I can sit here all day reading about it, but actually becoming a sassy Queen of the Universe ain’t that easy. Annnd that’s what I wanna say – we’re all here, with good intentions in regards to self love, yet it still has no better description than ‘easier said than done’.

Okay – what actually works?

Now I’ve had my self-love moan, I’m going to get down to the specifics. My specifics. Of all things that I actually think make a difference (without verging on sounding like BS) age and time are the biggest. Yep, I’m aware that’s all a bit shit really, as we can do nothing to speed either up. But it’s there, and it’s happening. I can’t explain exactly what happens, but it’s something along the lines of getting a bit older, knowing yourself a little better and giving a lot less fucks.

The other thing I find is a general one for being a happier bun – making yourself the busiest person on the planet. Don’t stop, because the minute you do you’ll pick fault. Okay, exaggerating, but staying busy keeps the mind on other things when you really need to. Other things like not thinking you’re ugly/horrible/fat/have bad taste in wallpaper. I try to keep my diary jam packed, even if that’s only doing life admin. Example – I can’t even remember when I last had time to really analyse the shape of my tits.

That’s it. I’m done. Not a huge amount of insight, but there’s comfort in knowing you’re not the only one thinking this is tough, right?! I’m pretty okay with me these days, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t take some working on.

Lydia xo

Share:

12 Comments

1. 16th February 2017 / 9:37 pm

So chic!

Liv

livforstyle.net

2. 16th February 2017 / 9:46 pm

I wrote about self-love on my blog this week and totally agree that it’s really difficult to actually find the time to give yourself a little love. We’re always so busy that it’s impossible to find time to remember to look after yourself at times. This was really insightful to read! xx

Jessie | allthingsbeautiful-x

3. 17th February 2017 / 10:13 am

love this post Lydia, so honest and definitely helpful, self-love is great and its soo good and nice to see more bloggers and people talking about it and sharing their thoughts <3 thanks for sharing yours 🙂

4. 17th February 2017 / 12:22 pm

It’s definitely something I’ve seen more of on blogs recently. And you’re right. Reading about it doesn’t automatically make you love yourself. I’m on a bit of a self love journey at the moment and have found books really help. There’s loads of cheap ones available on the kindle store too!

5. Laura
    17th February 2017 / 3:15 pm

FYI whenever you post a lingerie outfit I wonder how I can make my tits look more like yours… 😂

6. 17th February 2017 / 7:16 pm

Self love is SO difficult. For me I guess it’s a little bit easier (I had a lung transplant last year and it’s definitely given me a new perspective on life haha) but even so, it can be difficult. I suppose I think about what I like about other people and usually it’s something unique so I try to celebrate my own uniqueness too! I also accept that no one is perfect, we all have that body part we don’t like or that part of our personality that we wish we could change but that just makes us human. We’re all unique which makes us incomparable! But if all else fails, a good pinterest sesh is always a bit helpful haha. x

Sick Chick Chic

7. 17th February 2017 / 10:10 pm

I agree, way harder said than done!
    I have a blazer like this, love the look!
    Kirsty xx | kirstyeelizabeth.com

8. 21st February 2017 / 8:37 pm

I think that getting older has such a big impact. I’m much more comfortable in my own skin now than I was when I was a teenager x

LuxeStyle