I’ve No Idea What I Look Like Anymore

pink shirt outfit of the daypink shirt outfit of the day

INSTAGRAM EDITS AND HIGHLIGHT REELS CAN MASK REALITY

I’m well aware that as a blogger, it’s a daft thing to say. Over the years I’ve seen a ridiculous amount of pictures of myself, but despite this, I don’t actually have a clue what I look like anymore. Can I say that the pictures I share are an accurate example? Probably not!

We’ve graduated into the world of Instagram edits and lifestyles… With that, I’ve realised I’m nowhere close to what I look like in real life. I’m not a posed picture, or a good angle, or walk around under an Instagram filter. I’m sometimes a bit boz-eyed, my mouth is wonky and my gut hangs out like everyone else’s does after a Domino’s.I’m not the static image you see on Instagram. I’ll freely admit to smoothing skin, removing spots and turning temperatures up when I’m pale AF… But then I think, aren’t we all in the same boat?! Especially in the blogging world. We’re all showing our highlight reel – our most flattering angles and good hair days. I did NOT wake up like this. It was staged, and edited and picked from a bunch of other pictures that weren’t half as flattering. Did I look good, or did I find the right filter?! We’re edging into First World Problems territory but I feel like it’s a good thing to address. There are so many young people online these days and even as a 25 year old I feel the pressure to look fabulous 24/7 (if it’s 4.5/7 we’re lucky)… God knows what it’s like for teens!

THE REALITY

So this is me, ‘fessing up to the fact that after rounds of finding the perfect skin tone complimenting background, a trip through Facetune and VSCO filters on top – I have no idea what I truly look like… But I also have no idea what the most of Instagram looks like. Or models in magazines or famous folk in music vids. That’s not to say people aren’t ridiculously beautiful (Em Rata makes me die a little inside with every Instagram post – Queeen), but most of us are sharing the best bits, not the 360 view… That’s what I try to bear in mind if I’m feeling down in the dumps about myself!

And for the pictures today I was allll up on that amazing lighting – I pray for this every time I get my camera out! It’s the glowy natural light of dreams, here to fuzz out pores and any fudge ups with my fake tan. I wore this look a few weeks ago and it was the start of feeling summery, sticking on my shades & cutesy pink! I’m so loving being back to sunshine-ready style.

SHOP THE POST

Lydia xo

Share:

7 Comments

1. La Bijoux Bella | by mia
    20th June 2017 / 6:46 pm

Yasss, love ❤️ your takes on a little self reflection and thoughts. This quote speaks to those of us who takes a moment and analyze and realize the true things of life … 😘

“The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before.”

― Albert Einstein

🌸LA BIJOUX BELLA 🌸| By Mia | A Creative Lifestyle Blog

2. 20th June 2017 / 9:44 pm

I know how you feel, everything is touched up and filtered, hard to remember sometimes what you actually look like. You look fab in these photos, love the top
    Lauren
    livinginaboxx | bloglovin

3. 21st June 2017 / 8:03 am

This is a HUGE point that I think everybody needs to remember. It’s kind of sad in a way, the world we live in has become so shallow with all we care about being selfies and the amount of likes you get – Yet, there is so, so much more important stuff going on. You’re right, you’re not the static image that we all see, you are you’re own person. I think we all obviously post pictures of the best things in our life rather than the worst so, we have to remember that everyone else is doing the same thing. I really can’t wait for the pressure from social media to eventually (hopefully) subside. Fingers crossed hey.

Thank you for sharing and have a great week 🙂

Chloe @ https://girllgonerogue.blogspot.co.uk/

4. 21st June 2017 / 12:24 pm

Yaaaaas, this post is so honest and refreshing. I really try to remember this when scroll through instagram constantly! Let’s be honest we’re not going to show ourselves scoffing pizza or ice cream running down our chin!
    Love outfit too, I love the top

5. 22nd June 2017 / 10:19 am

Thank You so much for sharing this Lydia! You’re absolutely right, it’s such an important thing to address and we’re all subject to it because of the overwhelming pressure from society – especially for bloggers! And if it’s ok to say, it’s nice to hear from someone like you (who always looks absolutely incredible – you’re gorgeous anyway and your editing skills just make the photo even better!) that you do go for the best lighting and haven’t as you said ‘woken up like this’!

What I love about this post also is that it’s so easy for people to judge Instagram pictures and forget that the important thing is that the person in the picture is more than what they look like!

JosieVictoriaa // Fashion, Travel & Lifestyle

6. 22nd June 2017 / 4:43 pm

you’re such an honest blogger.
    that’s what I really like about you..
    I usually take about 40-50 shots and just get one out of it!
    We might aswell be honest about it at this stage!

Jade | Personal Style & Fashion Blogger